Saturday, January 21, 2012

FMQ Brother Innovis 4000D

Success on my Brother Innovis 4000D today using free motion quilting "stippling" - I use the term loosely because I've gone outside the lines and crossed over more than I should have, but...it's pretty good for my first fmq quilt.  I've got Sulky 30w variegated in the top thread, Presencia 60w in the bobbin and with tension set to 4.0 I'm quite happy with the result.  I've noticed today how important it is to secure the beginning and ending with four stitches or so in the same spot so that the fmq doesn't come loose.  Amazing what little, but so important, things you notice.  I was very pleased overall with the result.  My machine didn't skip stitches, I broke no needles (knock on wood) and managed to impress a quilting buddy.  All in all, a good day!  Many happy returns, Mary Ann

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Hi Mary Ann,
That variegated thread is beautiful and the stippling looks very good. I'm very impressed that you broke no needles. Were you using 100% cotton sulky 30wt thread? Well done!

Mary Ann said...

Yes, 100% cotton Sulky 30 weight - it's challenging to use, but the results are just what I was looking for!