Monday, October 22, 2012

October fmq - name and fillers

This month's quilting expert is Teri Lucas.  She provided a very interesting challenge, stitch your own name in the block then fill the block in using a variety of fillers and threads.  Teri suggested satin fabric.  However, I didn't have any satin readily available, so I did the practice sandwich on white cotton/linen fabric with cotton batting and a Schmetz 90/14 embroidery needle.
I quilted my daughter's name and did not mark the fabric.  Her name ended up being off centre and not straight.  So on my fmq sample quilt I marked my name with a Sewline ceramic pencil.
It was good fun trying different threads with each filler.
The blue pebbling is 100% polyester embroidery thread from Marathon threads in Winnipeg.
 I stuck in the top left corner of the red grid lines and ended up making what looks like a little roof.
The green heart-shaped leaves are 100% cotton quilting thread.
 My first attempt at sewing nautilus shells.
I love the neon orange thread, it makes those flowers look happy.
 
Fellow quilters, did you enjoy this challenge?  Would you quilt your name on your quilts?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Your block looks lovely! What a fun way to practice all the filler stitches we've learned this year.

I'm waaay behind on the challenge (like I think the last block I did was June or July?) so I haven't tried this yet. I would love to be able to stitch my name in the corner of a quilt, and the date. Or if it's a baby quilt, stitch the baby's name and birth date.

Of course, I can't write cursive any more so I bet I'll have trouble remembering how to stitch in cursive.