So for the first day, I pulled out a set of red and white coasters, and a mug-rug. These are made from scraps, and I could use all the same thread in the top.
At a class some time ago, it was recommended that we use a heavier weight thread on the spool, and light, very light weight in the bobbin – so that’s what I always do. At that same class the instructor recommended a metallic needle, because of the groove just above the eye, making for a smoother slide for the thread – so that got changed. My machine is a Brother, and for FMQ I don’t have the option of leaving the feed dogs engaged. So with thread changed top and bottom, darning foot attached, metallic needle inserted, feed dogs disengaged, speed set at 2/3 – the gloves went on! I use garden gloves that I bought, actually, at a quilting shop – really! The instructor at the class said to never, never use gardening gloves, but I’d already bought them, and I’m not sure the reasoning for not using these – they fit just like Machingers, and much much cheaper!
And at the end of my first day:
Some simple stippling just to try to get my speed and stitch length. I used red thread because I wanted the contrast on the white stripes.
I won’t be doing any other kind of sewing for the next 2 weeks – good thing, I’m pretty well caught up with my projects.
Happy FMQ! Blessings, Peg